3-D Ufo History
Tri Lakes Ufo Convention
Crash Of The Month
100 Years
No Wrights Just Pearse
Oop Art
Bob Lazar
Books And Items
Series Programs
Sponsor Links
Cosmic Connection
Crash Of The Month

Crash Sites from around the World


Roswell UFO Crash

JULY 04, 11:35 PM 1947

Roswell New Mexico - 1947 - something crashed - or was shot down - causing more controversy as to what really happened than most other UFO events in current history. We do know that something happened - that the government came in and removed a craft and perhaps some bodies.

Mac Brazel reported finding portions of a crashed UFO on his ranch. The sheriff of Chaves County passed this information along to officials at Roswell Army Air Field (RAAF) and an investigation was begun by Maj. Jesse Marcel, an intelligence officer.

A press release was issued by RAAF about the flying saucer on July 8, 1947. The following day, the official story was changed by Army Air Force officials. (Both stories were reported in front page articles in the Roswell Daily Record.)

This Roswell Daily Record web site lets you explore the various reports on what has been termed the "Roswell Incident," a subject that has generated many news reports, books and motion pictures.


Roswell Daily Record for July 8, 1947

The intelligence office of the 509th Bombardment group at Roswell Army Air Field announced at noon today, that the field has come into possession of a flying saucer.

According to information released by the department, over authority of Maj. J. A. Marcel, intelligence officer, the disk was recovered on a ranch in the Roswell vicinity, after an unidentified rancher had notified Sheriff Geo. Wilcox, here, that he had found the instrument on his premises.

Major Marcel and a detail from his department went to the ranch and recovered the disk, it was stated.

After the intelligence officer here had inspected the instrument it was flown to higher headquarters.

The intelligence office stated that no details of the saucer's construction or its appearance had been revealed.

Mr. and Mrs. Dan Wilmot apparently were the only persons in Roswell who saw what they thought was a flying disk.

They were sitting on their porch at 105 South Penn. last Wednesday night at about ten o'clock when a large glowing object zoomed out of the sky from the southeast, going in a northwesterly direction at a high rate of speed.

Wilmot called Mrs. Wilmot's attention to it and both ran down into the yard to watch. It was in sight less then a minute, perhaps 40 or 50 seconds, Wilmot estimated.

Wilmot said that it appeared to him to be about 1,500 feet high and going fast. He estimated between 400 and 500 miles per hour.

In appearance it looked oval in shape like two inverted saucers, faced mouth to mouth, or like two old type washbowls placed, together in the same fashion. The entire body glowed as though light were showing through from inside, though not like it would inside, though not like it would be if a light were merely underneath.

From where he stood Wilmot said that the object looked to be about 5 feet in size, and making allowance for the distance it was from town he figured that it must have been 15 to 20 feet in diameter, though this was just a guess.

Wilmot said that he heard no sound but that Mrs. Wilmot said she heard a swishing sound for a very short time.

The object came into view from the southeast and disappeared over the treetops in the general vicinity of six mile hill.

Wilmot, who is one of the most respected and reliable citizens in town, kept the story to himself hoping that someone else would come out and tell about having seen one, but finally today decided that he would go ahead and tell about it. The announcement that the RAAF was in possession of one came only a few minutes after he decided to release the details of what he had seen.

Roswell Daily Record for July 9, 1947 - AP

An examination by the army revealed last night that mysterious objects found on a lonely New Mexico ranch was a harmless high-altitude weather balloon - not a grounded flying disk.Excitement was high until Brig. Gen. Roger M. Ramey, commander of the Eighth air forces with headquarters here cleared up the mystery.

The bundle of tinfoil, broken wood beams and rubber remnants of a balloon were sent here yesterday by army air transport in the wake of reports that it was a flying disk.

But the general said the objects were the crushed remains of a ray wind target used to determine the direction and velocity of winds at high altitudes.

Warrant Officer Irving Newton, forecaster at the army air forces weather station here said, "we use them because they go much higher than the eye can see."

The weather balloon was found several days ago near the center of New Mexico by Rancher W. W. Brazel. He said he didn't think much about it until he went into Corona, N. M., last Saturday and heard the flying disk reports.

He returned to his ranch, 85 miles northwest of Roswell, and recovered the wreckage of the balloon, which he had placed under some brush.

Then Brazel hurried back to Roswell, where he reported his find to the sheriff's office.

The sheriff called the Roswell air field and Maj. Jesse A. Marcel, 509th bomb group intelligence officer was assigned to the case.

Col. William H. Blanchard, commanding officer of the bomb group, reported the find to General Ramey and the object was flown immediately to the army air field here.

Ramey went on the air here last night to announce the New Mexico discovery was not a flying disk.

Newton said that when rigged up, the instrument "looks like a six-pointed star, is sivery in appearance and rises in the air like a kite."

In Roswell, the discovery set off a flurry of excitement.

Sheriff George Wicox's telephone lines were jammed. Three calls came from England, one of them from The London Daily Mail, he said.

A public relations officer here said the balloon was in his office "and it'll probably stay right there."

Newton, who made the examination, said some 80 weather stations in the U. S. were using that type of balloon and that it could have come from any of them.

He said he had sent up identical balloons during the invasion of Okinawa to determine ballistics information for heavy guns.

Story 2

W. W. Brazel, 48, Lincoln county rancher living 30 miles south of Corona, today told his story of finding what the army at first described as a flying disk, but the publicity which attended his find caused him to add that if he ever found anything else short of a bomb, he sure wasn't going to say anything about it.

Brazel was brought here late yesterday by W. E. Whitmore, of radio station KGFL, had his picture taken and gave an interview to the Record and Jason Kellahin, sent here from the Albuquerque bureau of the Associated Press to cover the story. The picture he posed for was sent out over AP telephoto wire sending machine specially set up in the Record office by R. D. Adair, AP wire chief sent here from Albuquerque for the sole purpose of getting out his picture and that of sheriff George Wilcox, to whom Brazel originally gave the information of his find.

Brazel related that on June 14 he and an 8-year old son, Vernon, were about 7 or 8 miles from the ranch house of the J. B. Foster ranch, which he operates, when they came upon a large area of bright wreckage made up on rubber strips, tinfoil, a rather tough paper and sticks.

At the time Brazel was in a hurry to get his round made and he did not pay much attention to it. But he did remark about what he had seen and on July 4 he, his wife, Vernon and a daughter, Betty, age 14, went back to the spot and gathered up quite a bit of the debris.

The next day he first heard about the flying disks, and he wondered if what he had found might be the remnants of one of these.

Monday he came to town to sell some wool and while here he went to see sheriff George Wilcox and "whispered kinda confidential like" that he might have found a flying disk.

Wilcox got in touch with the Roswell Army Air Field and Maj. Jesse A. Marcel and a man in plain clothes accompanied him home, where they picked up the rest of the pieces of the "disk" and went to his home to try to reconstruct it.

According to Brazel they simply could not reconstruct it at all. They tried to make a kite out of it, but could not do that and could not find any way to put it back together so that it could fit.

Then Major Marcel brought it to Roswell and that was the last he heard of it until the story broke that he had found a flying disk.

Brazel said that he did not see it fall from the sky and did not see it before it was torn up, so he did not know the size or shape it might have been, but he thought it might have been about as large as a table top. The balloon which held it up, if that was how it worked, must have been about 12 feet long, he felt, measuring the distance by the size of the room in which he sat. The rubber was smoky gray in color and scattered over an area about 200 yards in diameter.

When the debris was gathered up the tinfoil, paper, tape, and sticks made a bundle about three feet long and 7 or 8 inches thick, while the rubber made a bundle about 18 or 20 inches long and about 8 inches thick. In all, he estimated, the entire lot would have weighed maybe five pounds.

There was no sign of any metal in the area which might have been used for an engine and no sign of any propellers of any kind, although at least one paper fin had been glued onto some of the tinfoil.

There were no words to be found anywhere on the instrument, although there were letters on some of the parts. Considerable scotch tape and some tape with flowers printed upon it had been used in the construction.

No strings or wire were to be found but there were some eyelets in the paper to indicate that some sort of attachment may have been used.

Brazel said that he had previously found two weather observation balloons on the ranch, but that what he found this time did not in any way resemble either of these.

"I am sure that what I found was not any weather observation balloon," he said. "But if I find anything else besides a bomb they are going to have a hard time getting me to say anything about it."




Every year about this time, I start thinking about Roswell. This has been a regular yearly occurrence for so long now that I can hardly think of July 4th without Roswell popping into my thoughts. Comes with the territory, I guess.

This year, I wanted to re-read the Roswell material in order so that I could see not only how the story developed, but also how the Roswell myth developed.

The original 1947 events can be found in these two articles: Roswell I: Mac Brazel, and Roswell II: Jessie Marcel. The original newspaper articles can be read at The Roswell Reporter.

After a brief flurry of publicity generated by Walter Haut's famous press release, the Roswell "flying saucer" was said by the Air Force to have been merely a weather balloon and the story soon vanished from the public interest.

It would have remained a minor incident in history had it not been for a chance encounter in 1978 when a radio station director told Stanton Friedman that a Houma, Louisiana man named Jesse Marcel had actually handled a crashed UFO. Friedman located Marcel and began the research that would result in the first book about Roswell, "The Roswell Incident" by Charles Berlitz and William L. Moore, published in 1980.


The Roswell Incident was basically a loose conglomeration of the information gathered by Friedman and Moore from these early interviews. It not only posited a UFO crash on the Foster Ranch, but another one on the Plains of San Agustin, near Socorro, New Mexico, based on second-hand statements reputedly made by Barney Barnett.

Friedman continued his research into Roswell, and, in 1989, he persuaded the television show Unsolved Mysteries to do a segment on Roswell. As a result of this broadcast, new witnesses began appearing, and in 1992 Friedman published a new book, Crash at Corona, co-written with Don Berliner.

Crash at Corona proposed that there must have been a third crash site. This would have been where the main part of the Foster Ranch craft had come to earth. Friedman had also begun investigating the MJ-12 documents by this time, and he included a section in the book on them. He had a new witness for the second crash site on the Plains of San Agustin. As a result of the Unsolved Mysteries segment, a man named Gerald Anderson came forward and corroborated the previous story that had been attributed to Barney Barnett. This book marks the first appearance of testimony by Glenn Dennis, the former undertaker who claimed to have learned of recovered alien bodies from a nurse friend of his at Roswell Army Air Field.

Kevin Randle wrote about Roswell in The UFO Casebook, published in 1989, basing his chapter on Roswell on The Roswell Incident plus newspaper articles and his own interviews with Bill Brazel and others. This chapter mentions the Plains of Agustin crash, from the Berlitz/Moore book.

Randle's book "UFO Crash at Roswell", co-written with Donald Schmitt, was released in 1991, actually before Crash at Corona. In it Randle and Schmitt introduced new witnesses and presented their idea of the sequence of events. This book was used as the basis for the Showtime cable network's Roswell. After the Showtime production Randle and Schmitt introduced an updated version of their book in 1994 with the title The Truth About the UFO Crash at Roswell. These books introduced a lot of new witnesses, including Melvin Brown and Frank Kaufmann. At the same time, they provided evidence that cast doubt on the testimony of Gerald Anderson and that seemed to show that Barney Barnett was not on the Plains of San Agustin in early July, 1947.

Randle repeated the Roswell story in his 1995 book, A History of UFO Crashes and then again in his 1997 A Conspiracy of Silence. He also began to defend the Roswell testimony against the criticisms of the skeptics, as well as taking on the Air Force's Project Mogul explanation, which they had released in 1994.

You have to give Randle credit. He didn't hesitate to express his own doubts about Roswell as cracks began to appear in some of the testimony. In his 1997 book "UFOs in the '90s", he once again assails the Air Force Project Mogul explanation, but he also shows the inconsistencies that had begun to appear in the testimony of Jim Ragsdale. He describes the futile search to find any trace of Glenn Dennis' nurse friend.

Finally, to come down to earth completely, I read Kal Korff's 1997 book The Roswell UFO Crash - What They Don't Want You to Know. This is a Roswell debunking book, and a good antidote to some of the fuzzy speculations found in the earlier books.


Ernest Robert RobbinsContact A half century later, witnesses insist little greenor maybe brownmen crashed in New Mexico BY CARLTON STOWERS


The headline in the Roswell Daily Record announcing the saucer crash couldnt bump a movie photo off page 1. People were much harder to impress in those days.

It was a snow-covered December in 1995 when President Bill Clinton, visiting Northern Ireland in support of the country's new and fragile peace process, spoke to a large gathering that had arrived for a Christmas tree lighting ceremony. The president opted to dismiss politics and keep the mood of his speech light. At one point, he drew laughter as he referred to a letter he'd recently received from a 13-year-old boy in Belfast.

"Ryan," the president said, "in case you're out there, here is your answer: No. As far as I know, no spaceship crashed at Roswell, New Mexico, in 1947. And if the Air Force recovered any extraterrestrial bodies, they did not tell me."

Such is the widespread and ongoing fascination attached to a legendary event that many believe actually took place on the late J.B. Foster's sheep ranch more than a half-century ago. What has transpired since that Independence Day weekend when a "flying saucer" was allegedly recovered by military personnel from Roswell Army Air Field has fueled a debate that continues 56 years later. Is it possible that such an unearthly event really occurred? The question has spawned an industry of books--well more than 100 at last count--and documentary films, inspired popular television shows and sci-fi movies, a prospering museum business in Roswell and insistence by many researchers that an ongoing government cover-up of the historic discovery puts Watergate to shame.

Perhaps Clinton should have visited with Midland's Anne Robbins before giving his answer. The widow of a career military man stationed in Roswell at the time, she might have changed his mind. She would probably have shared the description of the saucer that her husband, Technical Sergeant Ernest Robert Robbins, told her he helped recover long ago and the three small "men"--one dead, one near death and another very much alive--found outside the spaceship.

But we're getting ahead of the story.

Was the arid Lincoln County region actually visited by inhabitants of another world? If so, why has the government refused to admit it? And could it be true, as some now claim, that many modern-day technical advancements--from lasers to fiber optics, integrated circuit chips to Velcro--have evolved from scientific examination and reverse engineering studies of a now hidden spacecraft?

As the story goes, William "Mac" Brazel, who leased the Foster Ranch at the time, was on horseback herding sheep when he happened onto a large field of strewn debris unlike anything he'd ever seen. He would later tell neighbors Floyd and Loretta Proctor it was clearly something that had fallen from the sky; perhaps the cause of the too-loud-to-be-thunder boom he'd heard during the previous night's rainstorm.

Brazel allegedly showed the Proctors some of the pieces he'd collected, metallic but thin as tinfoil. They watched in amazement as he wrinkled one, laid it on a table and saw it immediately smooth to its original shape. And there were the pieces of stick-like material, no heavier than balsa wood, bendable but impossible to break or cut with a knife. On some were what he later compared to Indian petroglyphs, series of strange symbols and pastel-colored drawings.

The neighbors, aware of the flying-saucer mania then sweeping the nation, suggested he tell authorities. Thus, two days later, on the morning of July 7, 1947, Brazel made the 60-mile drive to Roswell and told Chaves County Sheriff George Wilcox of his discovery, showing him several pieces of the strange debris he had collected. Wilcox phoned Major Jesse Marcel at the nearby air base and suggested he might want to speak with the 48-year-old rancher.

After examining the material and hearing Brazel's description of the size of the debris field--three-quarters of a mile long and 200 to 300 feet wide, with a lengthy "gouge" in the ground at its north end--Marcel arranged to meet Brazel at the ranch.

Thereafter the story becomes a blur that historians are still attempting to sort out. According to evidence gathered by numerous researchers--both scientists and laymen collectively calling themselves UFOlogists--a small, elite group of military personnel was assigned to guard the area, collect the debris and take it to the base. There, orders had already been received from Brigadier General Roger Ramey, commanding officer of the 8th Air Force, that everything recovered was to be flown immediately to what would later become Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth.

Still, the story might never have created a worldwide frenzy had the base public information officer, Lieutenant Walter Haut, not issued a startling press release that appeared beneath a banner headline in the next day's edition of the Roswell Daily Record: "RAAF Captures Flying Saucer On Ranch in Roswell Region."

Haut's press release, ordered by Colonel William Blanchard, the base commanding officer, made it clear that something more than pieces of scattered debris had been found. "The intelligence office of the 509th Bombardment group at Roswell Army Air Field announced at noon today that the field has come into possession of a flying saucer," it read. The release went on to explain that "Major Marcel and a detail from his department went to the ranch and discovered the disc."

Soon, calls were coming to Haut from news agencies throughout the world.

Now 80 and co-founder of the International UFO Museum and Research Center in Roswell, Haut says, "After meeting with Colonel Blanchard in his office and getting the information for the press release, I wrote it and went to town around five that afternoon to deliver it to the radio and newspaper people.

"That done, I went on home and was having dinner when people from all over the world started calling. Finally, about midnight, my wife, who was getting a little unhappy with the flood of calls, just took the phone off the hook and told me we were going to bed."

Then, just as quickly as the excitement had developed, it came to a crashing end with a Fort Worth news conference called by General Ramey the following day. Despite claims by Marcel to investigators years later that the amount of debris loaded onto the B-29 that was flown from Roswell to Fort Worth "was enormous," half filling the huge plane, reporters and photographers who gathered in the general's office were shown only tattered remnants of a weather balloon and given a smiling apology for all the unwarranted excitement. In attendance was Major Marcel, admitting he had been mistaken.

The official version of the Roswell incident thus became that a military weather balloon launched to detect wind velocity and direction at high altitudes had come crashing down on Foster Ranch. End of story. The headline in the next day's Roswell paper was as definitive but not nearly as exciting as the one published the day before: "Gen. Ramey Empties Roswell Saucer." In a more innocent and patriotic time, with World War II still fresh in the public's mind and trust in the government blindly indisputable, the explanation was good enough. For most. For a time.



Anne Robbins,

who until now has never spoken publicly on the matter, says what her late husband saw 56 years ago was hardly a downed weather balloon.

Seated in a meeting room at the newly opened Odessa Meteor Crater Museum, the 84-year-old Robbins clearly recalls a July night when her husband received a call to report to the base. She would not see or hear from him for 18 hours. And when she did, he told her bits and pieces of a bizarre story that has puzzled her for a lifetime.

"We had been to a dinner party at the NCO [non-commissioned officers] club on the base," she says, "and didn't get home until 10:30 or 11. We'd already gone to bed but weren't yet asleep when everything outside lit up like it was daylight. It was like that for what seemed like several minutes, and we both assumed that it was probably helicopters from the base with searchlights on."

Soon thereafter, the phone call came to their home and her husband told her he had to report to the base.

"I just assumed that there had been a plane crash somewhere nearby," she says. "But I couldn't figure why my husband, a sheet-metal man who repaired planes, was called in."

She was even more puzzled when he returned home the following evening, his uniform wrinkled and damp. "I asked him what had happened to him, why he was so wet, and he told me he'd had to go through the decontamination tank at the base. I asked, 'In your clothes?' and he said, 'They were what I was wearing when I was out there.'"

Still assuming that he'd been called to the site of a plane crash, she quizzed him further. "He told me, 'Well, I guess you might as well know; it's going to be in the papers. A UFO crashed outside of Roswell.'"

Her response? "I told him he was crazy."

"No," Sergeant Robbins replied, "I'm not." Then he showered and went to bed.

"I don't remember him being particularly shocked or very emotional about it," she says. "In fact, he seemed cool as a cucumber. He just made it clear to me that he wasn't going to talk about it."

The following morning she continued to press for details. "I asked him again if it was really true and he said, yes, it was." When she asked what the UFO looked like, he explained that "if you took two saucers and put them together, that's what it looked like." On the top layer, he told her, there were oblong-shaped windows all the way around the craft. And, no, he said, he had not looked inside the crashed ship.

"I asked him if there was anybody on it. He said, 'I can tell you this much: There were three people. One was dead and two were still alive. I can't tell you anything more.'"

It was not until several days later that Sergeant Robbins finally agreed to drive his wife out to the crash site. By then, all debris had been cleared away and neither a spaceship nor signs of military personnel was evident. "He didn't say much of anything until we got to a place where there was this big burned spot, a perfect circle so black that it was shiny. No normal fire could have made something like that." It was, she says, as if the sand had been melted and turned into a sheet of black glass.

"This," Sergeant Robbins said, "is where I was for 18 hours."

"On the drive home," she says, "I asked him what happened to the spaceship, what happened to the people who were on it. Her husband's reply: "I can't tell you that; don't ask me any more."

It was the last time her husband spoke of "the Roswell incident" until long after he'd retired from the service. Until his death of a heart attack two years ago, he never told his wife who was with him that night or what role he had played.

Following his retirement from the Air Force in 1961, they moved to Saginaw, near Fort Worth, and he worked first for General Dynamics, then LTV, as an aircraft repairman.

"It was years later, when our kids were in high school, that our son Ronald was working on some kind of report on unidentified flying objects and asked his father to tell him about what happened back in Roswell. He didn't say much, basically just what he'd told me years earlier," she says.

"But you know how kids are. Ronald kept asking questions, like what the men found at the crash looked like. Finally, Papa [as she referred to her husband throughout their 57-year marriage] got a pencil and drew this pear-shaped head with large black eyes. Their skin, he said, was brown and they had no nose, no mouth.

"When Ronald asked him what their bodies looked like, all he would say was, 'Son, you don't want to know about that.'"

The Robbins' son, now living in Arizona, could not be reached by the Dallas Observer. "He wouldn't talk to you about it, anyway," his mother insists. Neither of her children, in fact, has ever spoken publicly of their father's alleged involvement in the Roswell incident. "Barbara, my daughter, tells me, 'Daddy's dead, don't bring it up.'"

"All I remember," says Barbara Wattlington, "was Dad saying he was stationed in Roswell and that a UFO crashed there."

The last time Anne Robbins remembers any conversation about the matter was a few years before her husband's death in January 2000, when they sat in their Saginaw living room one evening, watching television. A show whose title she can't recall was on, re-creating the Roswell event and posing the question of whether it was an ageless hoax or the well-hidden truth. "I asked him, 'Was it a hoax?' and all he said was, 'It's the truth. It did land.'

"I asked him, 'Well, if it did, where is it?' He again said he couldn't tell me that."

Anne Robbins, 84,\ says her late husband, Ernest Robert Robbins, saw a UFO that crashed near Roswell, and he never fibbed. Well, were not going to argue with her.

Her husband, she says, was never one to embellish or lie; neither prankster nor teller of tall tales. "He was a good, Christian man. He loved the military and his country and never spoke bad about either." No, she says, he would never have made up such a story. Nor, if ordered not to, would he have ever talked of matters he was told to keep secret. "That's just the way he was," she says. "On the day he died, the last thing he told me was that he wanted me to promise to fly the flag in front of our house until I drew my last breath."

Though she insists she has never researched the numerous theories of the Roswell crash presented in the countless books or documentaries, she does admit that she has lingering questions she hopes will one day be answered. "That UFO they found didn't just fly away," she says. "So where is it? And what happened to the people on it? I still say the Air Force knows what happened. Someday, I hope, we might find out the truth."

Two years ago she did get an answer to one question that had long bothered her. "I could never figure out why an airplane repairman would be called out in the middle of the night to participate in the investigation of a crashed UFO," she says. Only after filing her husband's death certificate with military officials in Washington, D.C., did she learn that he had intelligence clearance during his Roswell tenure.

Still, if Anne Robbins had embarked on a thorough study of the massive collection of research done on the fabled Roswell crash, she would not find her husband's name among any of the "witnesses" who have come forward over the years. Yet the sketchy details he gave her generally mesh with most of the reconstructed stories found in the ever-growing volume of literature devoted to the crash investigation.

It was not until 1978, three decades after the brief flurry of interest in the crashed UFO-turned-weather balloon, that Jesse Marcel, the intelligence officer who had been at the center of the original event, came forward with a story far different from the one told attendees of the Carswell news conference.

The material flown from Roswell to Fort Worth was never actually shown to the media, he confided to nuclear physicist-turned-UFO investigator Stanton Friedman. It was, instead, quietly delivered to a research laboratory at Wright-Patterson Army Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio.

Marcel's revised recollections of the 1947 event, along with those of others who had finally chosen to speak out, ultimately appeared in the 1980 book The Roswell Incident co-authored by William Moore and Charles Berlitz, setting off a renewed appetite for information. Soon it came in a virtual flood of eyewitness reports and recollections of family members who, like Anne Robbins, began revealing secrets they had long been told to keep. The Roswell story exploded into the best-known alleged UFO encounter in history.

According to the story now told by researchers, ranging from the serious to those writing for the supermarket tabloids, things far more bizarre had already occurred before Mac Brazel discovered the debris field. Those who have written about the event in the years since suggest a fascinating sequence of events that occurred in the early days of that July:

For several nights, Roswell residents had reportedly seen a strange flying object in the night sky. Though no one would know about it for 30 years, two Franciscan Catholic nuns, working at the local St. Mary's Hospital, even made notations in their diaries that at some time after 11 p.m. on July 4, 1947, they had seen a large flash in the night sky, assuming that it was a plane in distress.

What Roswell AAF radar operator Frank Kaufmann said he saw was even more remarkable. On that same evening he was tracking the strange movement of a mysterious object flying at an incredible rate of speed. Suddenly it began losing altitude and the blip on the radar screen enlarged into a large starburst pattern that suggested an explosion had occurred. It was estimated that the event had occurred somewhere within a 100-mile range northwest of the base and a search team was immediately dispatched.

Jim Ragsdale would later tell of seeing what occurred at much closer range. He and his girlfriend, on a rock-hunting trip, were parked at a secluded campsite on what was known as Boy Scout Mountain, when they saw a flash, then heard a thundering explosion. Within seconds, Ragsdale would later tell researchers, the UFO skipped along the desert not far away, then came to rest at the base of a nearby bluff. Grabbing flashlights, he and his girlfriend made their way to the crash site where he says a saucer-shaped vehicle had come to rest. Not only did he eventually tell of seeing the crashed UFO but the bodies of several "childlike" passengers. After picking up a few pieces of debris from the wreckage, the young couple decided to return to their pickup and wait until daylight for a better look.

When they did return, Ragsdale later wrote in a sworn affidavit, they saw a military convoy arriving and briefly hid to watch before deciding to leave (taking with them pieces of the debris he says they later showed to numerous people in a nearby bar). Had they remained, the story goes, they would have eventually seen the UFO hoisted by crane onto the bed of a flatbed truck and the bodies placed in another military vehicle that was ordered to quickly return to the Roswell base hospital.

The actual crash site, then, had been swept clear by military personnel hours before Mac Brazel rode up on the debris field several miles away. Later, researchers would assume that the craft had apparently first hit on the Foster Ranch, sliding along for a distance, then had briefly managed to become airborne again before crashing.

If the material found in such books as The Truth About the UFO Crash at Roswell, Crash at Corona, Beyond Roswell, and Alien Contact: Top Secret UFO Files Revealed is to be believed, the interplanetary visit was, in many respects, a pretty poorly kept secret from the get-go. The only problem is, it was years before folks would talk about it.

Yet, before their deaths, numerous people or their descendants recounted anecdotes of involvement in and observations made during the strange event.

For instance, long after his father's death in 1986, Dr. Jesse Marcel Jr., 66, still tells of Major Marcel stopping by the house on an early July morning in 1947 to show him and his mother pieces of the crash debris that he had collected. Eleven years old at the time, Dr. Marcel recalled his father bringing pieces of the downed "flying disc" from his car and spreading them on the kitchen floor. He recalled handling the aluminum foil-like material and seeing the unusual symbols on what he said looked like pieces of black plastic.

Now living in Helena, Montana, Dr. Marcel says the most remarkable memory he has of the pieces his father showed him was of the geometric-like symbols on some of them. "I've always referred to them as I-beams," he says, "though I have no idea what they really were.

"My father was very excited about what they had found," Dr. Marcel says, "and since our house was on the way to the base, he just decided to stop by and show it to us. Then he took it on out to the base."

Major Marcel's excitement, however, was quickly muted. "The next day," his son remembers, "he sat down with my mother and me and told us we were never to talk about what he'd shown us. He said, 'Don't think about it. It didn't happen.'"

Today, Dr. Marcel remains convinced that the material his father showed him came from another world.

Then there is the story that the late Sergeant Melvin Brown waited until 1970 to tell his daughters. Retired and living in England, he said that he had been at the crash site in '47 and was assigned to guard the alien bodies as they were being transported back to the base. Though sworn to secrecy, he finally told of being ordered to ride in an "ice-filled truck" that was to take the bodies to a hangar. On the trip, Brown told his daughter Beverly Bean, he had lifted a tarp and seen "two, possibly three bodies."

And there were others who would eventually tell of seeing the alien bodies, including Roswell AAF radar operator Kaufmann, who would later claim to have been among those ordered to the crash site where, he later told researchers Don Schmitt and Kevin Randle, authors of UFO Crash at Roswell, he saw five small aliens, all clearly dead.

Oliver "Pappy" Henderson, a World War II pilot assigned to the Roswell Army Air Field at the time, allegedly told friend Dr. John Kromschroeder during a fishing trip in 1978 that he had flown much of the debris--and the bodies of what he only described as "those little guys"--to Wright-Patterson aboard a C-47. Shortly before his death in 1986, Henderson also told the story to his wife.

In his book, The Day After Roswell, retired Colonel Philip Corso is far more graphic as he writes of a night a sentry urged him to enter an off-limits Wright-Patterson building where more than 30 crates of Henderson's cargo had been stacked against a wall, draped by large tarps. When the sentry pointed to a particular crate he'd already looked in--in clear violation of orders he'd been given --Corso opened it and shined a flashlight on its contents.

"My stomach rolled right up into my throat, and I almost became sick," he writes. "[Inside] was a coffin, but not like any coffin I'd ever seen before. The contents, enclosed in a thick glass container, were submerged in a thick light blue liquid...

"At first I thought it was a dead child they were shipping somewhere. But it was no child. It was a 4-foot human-shaped figure with arms, bizarre-looking four-fingered hands--I didn't see a thumb--thin legs and feet and an oversized incandescent light bulb-shaped head...the eyesockets were oversized and almond-shaped..."

Perhaps the most provocative story came not from a member of the military but, instead, a Roswell mortician named Glenn Dennis. Twenty-two at the time and director of the local Ballard Funeral Home, he told of receiving a telephone call from the base on the afternoon of July 5, 1947, asking if he could provide several "small," hermetically sealed caskets. Thirty minutes later, he would eventually recall to numerous researchers and journalists, he answered a second call, this time with a series of questions about the techniques of embalming and preserving dead bodies and if such processes would alter the chemical contents of blood and tissue. Finally, he reported, he was asked what happened to body tissue after it had been exposed to the elements.

Curious, Dennis says he asked if there was something he could help with and was told the questions were only "for future reference."

Later that day, Dennis recalled, he had driven an injured airman to the base infirmary. While there, he noticed an unusual amount of activity at the base hospital. Encountering a nurse named Naomi Selff in the hallway, she was clearly surprised to see him and warned that "he wasn't supposed to be there and had better leave immediately."

Minutes later, his story went, he was escorted by two military police all the way back to the funeral home.

It was not until the following day that he learned what had been happening. He phoned nurse Selff and they agreed to meet for lunch. Obviously distraught, she told him of seeing three small bodies, two of which were badly mutilated, and of being ordered by attending military doctors to take notes while they conducted their examinations. The stench of the corpses, she allegedly told him, had been almost more than she could stand. Before he returned her to her barrack, Dennis recalled, she drew sketches of the aliens on a prescription pad and gave them to him with a warning that he should "show them to no one."

That, the mortician says, was the last time he ever saw her. After numerous unsuccessful attempts to reach her by phone, he learned several days later that she had suddenly been reassigned to duty in England. Shortly thereafter, he was told that she had died there in a plane crash.

Co-founder of the Roswell museum with Haut, Dennis is currently in poor health and was unable to speak with the Observer about his well-chronicled story.

But for every true believer there are skeptics, researchers who have picked away at the colorful, unimaginable stories in search of their flaws. And they have found many. Among the debunkers is Kal K. Korff, author of The Roswell UFO Crash: What They Don't Want You to Know. He not only questions why so many waited so long to come forward with the stories but points out that many of them are, like that of Anne Robbins, hand-me-down tales allegedly kept secret until the firsthand witnesses were dead.

Korff's questions are valid: Why have some of the reported witness accounts described the downed UFO as "saucer-shaped" while others remember it being "triangular-shaped with small wings?" While most who claimed to have seen the bodies recall there being three, others say they saw as many as five. Some say all were dead, others that one or more was still alive. Descriptions of the color of the small bodies range from gray to brown. How could mortician Haut have "lost" something as important as the drawings he says his nurse friend made and gave to him? And if, in fact, so many civilians collected pieces of the strange-looking debris, why has not a single piece of it ever surfaced?

It was not until 1994 that an Air Force investigation into the aging Roswell affair resulted in an announcement that the material found on the Foster Ranch was, in fact, a crashed high-altitude test balloon that would eventually be able to monitor Soviet nuclear testing. Actually a chain of radar-equipped balloons, it had been launched on July 4, 1947, and was tracked to within 17 miles of the Foster Ranch before disappearing.

When the explanation failed to satisfy many "believers," the Air Force released yet another report in '97, this one titled The Roswell Report--Case Closed, in which it attempted to answer the lingering question of the "bodies" allegedly seen at the crash site. What the so-called witnesses had seen, according to the report, were nothing more than crash-test dummies that were part of a military experiment in parachute and ejector seat designs.

That, too, failed to satisfy those determined that the governmental cover-up continued. Such tests, several military researchers argued, had not even begun until the mid-'50s.

"The reason the interest in the Roswell case remains and, in fact, seems to grow," says Mark Rodeghier, scientific director of the Chicago-based Center for UFO Studies, "is the fact the government has never given a reasonable explanation of what occurred that summer of 1947."

Thus it continues, an unexplained event that has turned into an industry. What happened or didn't happen 56 years ago has lured 1.3 million to the International UFO Museum and Research Center since it opened in 1992. A guided tour of the desolate "crash site" is now available. Then, there was the long-lost film of the "autopsy" of one of the Roswell aliens that was shown on television worldwide before being discounted as fake, and a stream of new books and articles that continues to flow. Clearly, the public loves the mystery. According to a recent poll, a large percentage of the U.S. population continues to believe something unworldly occurred that July on the Foster Ranch.

Walter Haut, one of the few major figures in the long-ago story still living, is among them. "I'm sure," he says, "that over the years much of the story has been exaggerated. But, yes, I believe that something happened out there in 1947." And he's not speaking of a weather balloon crash.

Fri 18 Jun 93 16:10

By: John Stepkowski

To: All

Re: USAF Crash Cover-Ups


I thought the following post might be of interest in light of the current speculation about the recovery of a crashed 'UFO'. Things are not always what they seem...

(While I can't vouch for the all the 'facts' as they're related here, the writer is in error ascribing the incident to the 'Have Blue' aircraft. It is well established that an F-117A did crash in the early 80s with the loss of its pilot, and details were suppressed. The 'Have Blue' a/c mentioned below were both lost within 'secure' areas so no 'cover ups' would have been necessary.)


* From rec.aviation.military

* From: tevg@aess.die.nt (S G)

* Subject: Interesting F117 Test Crash Story

* Date: 11 Jun 1993 21:19:16 -0400


I was just reminded of a story I read some time ago about the development of the F-117 Stealth Fighter. Back when the program was being developed in secrecy in the early eighties, 2-3 prototypes were built. These were funded under a DOD codename of "Have Blue" and assembled and tested at Groom Lake - one of the USAF's most black test facilities.

Anyway, during testing of one of the prototypes, one of the pilots blacked out or lost control. In that terrain, mountainous as it was, it meant death. The plane slammed into the side of a mountain, exploding into pieces.

Once the plane disappeared from view and with the pilot dead, the DOD/USAF immediately declared the crash site a 'National Security Area', which prohibits anyone from entering by land, sea, air, space etc.. without permission or clearance. Even the firefighters brought to the scene and other non-cleared personnel had to swear they would not talk about anything they might see.

The government systematically tooth-combed the mountainside to collect even the smallest fragment of the RAM (Radar Absorbent Material), so as not to have it compromised. The debris was removed for analysis. Cleverly, the USAF had one more trick up its sleeve. They went to their Junkyards or storage yards and found the stripped airframe of a old aircraft (i think a voodoo or lockheed starfighter). They smashed this up and buried the parts near and on top of the crash scene of the F117, after which they restored the area and replanted grass and trees.

This was to throw the inevitable treasure hunters and nosey people for finding anything, and if they did, it certainly wouldn't be much. An analogy would be expecting a Filet Mignon and ending up with burnt hamburger. There were distant witnesses to the crash, so the USAF expected treasure hunters and 'gawkers'. Anyone who showed up to crawl around the crash site would find nothing, those with metal detectors had a lockheed starfighter buried right under them.

Neat story I thought.. shows how sneaky people can be, and what sort of interesting stories there are to tell sometimes (although not all interesting stories can get told!)



By: James L. Choron

KLININGRAD, RUSSIA (Friday, April 18, 2003) The entire Russian Baltic Fleet and a large number or residents of Kaliningrad (formerly Koenigsburg), a city of over 3 million inhabitants, in the Russian Baltic enclave on the Baltic Sea, watched in awe as a "flying wing" shaped Unidentified Flying Object winged over rapidly and plunged into Kaliningrad Harbour at approximately 6:17 pm. Local Time. The event was caught on videotape by a local RTR Russian State Television news crew, which was present on the massive naval base, filming a documentary segment on the fleet for airing on Russian television.

The Unidentified Flying Object, described as a "Flying Wing", with two enlongated, dome like protrusions on top, and three similar structures, underneath, was overflying the Baltic Fleet, which lay at anchor in Kaliningrad Harbour. According to a Russian Naval Commander, who wishes to remain annomyous, the craft was apparently caught, accidently, within the sweep patterns of ship mounted search radars, which came on to track it's progress, causing some sort of malfunction which resulted in the crash. "It was traveling at a tremendous rate of speed" he said to RTR reporters, on the scene. "It was very low, not more than 1,500 meters (approximately 5,000 feet) above the surface of the water.

When our radars came on, it simply winged over, and dove into the water, as if it has lost either power, or control".

The craft, estimated by onlookers to be traveling at speeds in excess of Mach 2 (twice the speed of sound), was absoltely quiet as it passed, but made a "trememdous noise" as it plunged into the water, causing a geyser of steam and water, mixed with small debris, which shot an extimated 500 meters (1500 feet) into the air. "It appeared" one witness, a civilian onlooker, said, "that whoever, or whatever was in control of the craft made a deliberate effort to take it away from the naval ships and the shoreline before it went into the harbor".

One Sovrimenni Class Destroyer was lightly damaged by flying debris, but, so far, no casualties have been reported. Radiation levels at the site, are high, but the source of the radiation, as well as it's nature, have yet to be determined. Russian authorities, from the Ministry of Health, are quick to point out that the radiation levels are not dangerous, simply "higher than normal".

So far, debris recovered have been small, averaging less than a meter (just over three feet) in diameter, at the largest. Most debris recovered, to date, have been what appear to be "skin material" of an unknown alloy, and interior bracing and piping, composed of a very high grade and extremely pure aluminum. All metal debris have been dispatched to various institutes and universities for analysis, including the prestiegous Bauman Institute of Engineering, in Moscow, and the

Moscow State University School of Metalurgy.

Owing to the speed at which the object was traveling, it is considered highly doubtful that any significant remains of crew, if, in fact, the vehicle was piloted, will be recovered. "This looks like your basic 'hair, teeth and eyeballs' situation, one Russian Navy diver said, somewhat grimly.

It is interesting to note that, in spite of the high speed at which the craft was traveling, and it's extremely low altitude, there was no characteristic "sonic boom" associated with it's approach, and no noticable vibration on the ground. This has led many observers, especially those associated with the Russian military establishment to speculate that the propulsion system of the craft was based on some sort of "anti-gravity" device. "Whatever it was", said one Russian Naval Captain, "it was certainly not one of our craft, and I am also not aware of anything of this sort being present in the West".

The immediate area of the crash will be dredged, as soon as a Naval dredge, also attached to the Baltic Fleet, but currently on assignment several hours away, can be brought into position. Dredging operations are expected to be in within the next two to three days, at the latest.

The entire episode is noteworthy in that it was not only captured on videotape by an RTR newscrew, but was instantly aired, not only on RTR, but on all major Russian Network television, via a live feed from the RTR crew, in Kaliningrad. Updates have followed on each regular news broadcast, since the initial downing. Russian Government officials are quick to point out that the downing was, in fact, accidental, and not a "shoot down".


In 1958, The United States recovered their third alien spacecraft from the Utah desert.
The craft was in excellent flying condition, and had been mysteriously abandoned by its occupants. When examined by a group of scientists, the instrumentation was so complex that none of them could fully comprehend its operation. Shortly thereafter, funds were not only appropriated by Project Snowbird to begin a more intensive study but also to contact the aliens who had abandoned their craft.
update 12-04-02 4 bodies recovered This UFO Crash event was the base for the segment ( building with the bees surrounded by corn) in the New X- Files Movie, Where an Agriculture "Front" was built over the craft because it was too big to move at that time.


1958 - Utah

From the alleged MJ-12 Aquarius Briefing Document prepared for incoming President Jimmy Carter in 1977. (TS/ORCON) In 1958, the United States recovered a third Alien aircraft from the desert of Utah. The aircraft was in excellent flying condition. The aircraft was apparently abandoned by the Aliens for some unexplained reason, since no Alien life forms were found in or around the aircraft. The aircraft was considered a technological marvel by United States scientists. However, the operating instrumentations of the aircraft were so complex that our scientists could not interrupt their operation. The aircraft was stored in a top security area and analyzed throughout the years by our best aerospace scientists. The United States gained a large volume of technological data from the recovered Alien aircraft. A detailed description and further information regarding the aircraft is explained in Atch 3.


1953 May 20 - Western Utah

According to various sources, a large craft of several hundred feet diameter crash landed in the area, clipping the top of a hillside and leaving a gouge in the valley floor before coming to rest.

There are also reports that some of the ET's survived the crash and have taken refuge in the area, where there have been numerous sightings of ET's on the ground. This incident appears to be related to the Kingman crash on the same date. This investigation is ongoing. CSETI WESTERN UTAH Reports indicate that ET's survived the crash, taking refuge in the nearby woods and is related to the Kingman Crash (Cseti) Update:12-04-02

UFO crashes:


August 1948 - Laredo, Texas.

Four officers witnessed the crash of an object and the recovery of bodies 38 miles south of Laredo, Texas, in Mexico. The information came from an NBC affiliate in Chicago, who received it from a source in Army security.

Another publication about this event mentions that one body has been recovered, and that the date of the event is July 7/8, 1948.

Either there is a date confusion, as one date could be the event and the other the date of its report, or these are two different cases, as we have one body or more than one body, or there is no truth at all in this information.

UFO Crashes

We have presented these crash incidents for reference only. The reliability of data available for UFO crashes is shaky at best therefore we are including dates and locations only, at this time. We suggest that you do your own search for the individual incidents and personally determine the reliability of information.

1884 Dundy County, Nebraska, June 6

1897 Aurora, Texas, April 17

1908 Tunguska, Siberia, June 30

1909 Chicago Illinois, December 22

1933 Ubatuba, Brazil

1947 Spitzbergen, Norway, May

1947 Socorro, New Mexico, May 31

1947 Roswell, New Mexico, July 2

1947 Magdalena, New Mexico, July 3

1947 Albuquerque, New Mexico, July 5

1947 Maury Island, Tacoma, July 31

1947 New Mexico Desert, August 13

1947 Cave Creek, Arizona, October

1947 Paradise Valley, Arizona, October

1948 Apache Reservation, Globe, Arizona

1948 Aztec, New Mexico, February 13

1948 Socorro, New Mexico, March

1948 White Sands, New Mexico, March 25

1948 Aztec, New Mexico, April 25

1948 Laredo, Texas, August 7

1949 Death Valley, California, August 19

1949 Roswell, New Mexico

1950 Mojave Desert, California, January

1950 Albuquerque, New Mexico, September 10

1950 New Mexico, March 22

1950 Argentina, April

1950 El Indio, Texas, December 6

1952 North Sea, Germany

1952 Spitzbergen, Norway, June

1952 New York City, New York

1952 Ely, Nevada, August 14

1952 Columbus, Ohio, August

1952 Albuquerque, New Mexico, September

1953 Brady, Montana

1953 Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, April

1953 Southwest Arizona, April 18

1953 Kingman, Arizona, May 21

1953 Laredo, Texas, June 19

1953 Johofnisburg, South Africa, July 10

1953 Camp Polk, Louisiana, Summer

1953 Dutton, Montana, October 13

1954 Mattydale, New York, Spring

1954 Bandelier, New Mexico, April 24

1955 Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio

1955 Birmingham, Alabama

1955 Brighton, England, May 5

1957 Carlsbad, New Mexico, July 18

1957 Ubatuba Beach, Brazil, September 14

1959 Frdynia, Poland

1960 New Paltz, New York, March

1961 Timmensdorfer, Germany

1962 Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio, April

1962 Las Vegas, Nevada, April 18

1962 Holloman AFB, New Mexico, June 12

1964 Fort Riley, Kansas, November 10

1965 Kecksburg, Pennsylvania, December 9

1965 Whitewater Lake, Indiana

1966 North West Arizona, October 27

1966 Indiana / Kentucky / Ohio area, 5 crashes

1967 Southwest Missouri, January

1968 Nellis AFB, Nevada

1972 Barberton, Ohio, July

1972 Sahara Desert, Morocco, July 18

1973 Northwest Arizona, July 18

1973 Great Lakes Naval Base, September

1974 Chili, New Mexico, May 17

1974 Chihuahua, Mexico, August 25

1974 Carbondale, New Jersey, November 9

1976 Australian Desert, May 12

1977 Ocotillo, California, September 2

1977 Wakefield, New Hampshire, January 10

1977 South West Ohio, April 5

1977 North West Arizona, June 22

1977 Tobasco, Mexico, August 17

1977 Padcaya, Bolivia, May 6

1978 Fort Dix Army Base, New Jersey, January 18

1988 Dalnegorsk, Primorskiy Kray, USSR, July

1988 Afghanistan, November

1989 Kalahari Desert, South Africa, May 7

1989 Siberia, July

1989 Moriches Bay, Long Island, New York, September 28

1989 Nellis AFB Gunnery Range, Nevada, November

1989 Carp, Ontario, Canada, November 4

1990 Megas Platanos, Greece, September 2

1992 Long Island, New York, November